Common Cat Toxins


Cats, unlike humans and dogs are particularly unique in things that they are sensitive to.
Here is a quick overview of some common toxins that affect our pet cats.
Lilies- all parts of the lily- stem, flower, leaf and even the water in the vase are toxic to cats. Not much has to be ingested for intoxication to occur. The plant causes acute renal (kidney) failure and can affect cats very quickly. The first signs are often intestinal- including vomiting and diarrhoea, the cat then seems to get a bit better but 1-2 days the kidneys begin to fail. Symptoms at this time are increased thirst, painful abdomen and extreme dehydration. Sometimes the damage can be irreversible. It is very important to bring you cat straight to the vet clinic if you suspect they have ingested any part of a lily plant.
Permethrin- a substance that is common in flea and tick prevention for dogs. Intoxication can occur if the product is placed on a dog and the cat snuggles up to or grooms the dog. Sometimes people accidently put the wrong prevention on their cat. Permethrins cause cats to have muscle tremors, shaking and jitters which can lead to seizures. It’s always a good idea to check with your vet before putting any treatment on your cat.
Paracetamol- an over the counter pain relief that is quite popular for people but is very toxic to your cat. Cats metabolise these tablets in a different way and as little as 1 tablet can affect them. Paracetamol changes the haemoglobin in a cat’s blood; this means that they are unable to get oxygen to their tissues and organs. It is very difficult to treat once symptoms have started.
It is important to check with your vet before giving any new product to your cat. Also be sure to contact them straight away if you suspect any toxicity or poisoning.
Have a great week!