Hydrotherapy has long been recognised as beneficial for human conditioning and rehabilitation. The same benefits are available to dogs whether they are young, old, in competition, need rehabilitation after surgery or just need a relaxing form of exercise in an underwater treadmill system built just for dogs.
Water offers the natural properties of buoyancy and resistance. The underwater treadmill takes the stress off limbs and painful joints, allowing the dog to exercise normally. Swimming alone cannot achieve this effectively as dogs tend to swim with their legs tucked under their body and don’t extend their legs such as they do whilst walking.
The water temperature is controlled and especially warmed to therapeutic levels to aid in managing arthritis and to help in building fitness levels, whilst strengthening joints and muscles. The speed of the treadmill is altered to individualise treatment requires and to achieve the particular benefit being sort by the hydrotherapy session.
What are the benefits of Hydrotherapy
- Water buoyancy reduces gravity and diminishes the impact on joints
- Allows early intervention and quicker recovery times for animals, especially after hip, knee and back surgeries
- Water provides resistance throughout the range of motion, enabling dogs with stiff joints to lengthen their stride and increase the benefits of exercise while minimising pain.
- Warm water assists in pain reduction and increases blood flow that aids in nerve and muscle growth
- Older animals can exercise effectively in the dog treadmill and build muscles and fitness levels.
- Water height is regulated to accommodate different sized animals and adjusted for the required level of weight bearing
Meet the Hydrotherapy team
Carrie Anne Burt and Nadine Ballentine are two of Petfocus Vetcare’s most experienced Nurses and Hydrotherapists. Before your dog commences on a hydrotherapy or rehabilitation program one of our experienced hydrotherapy Vets will perform a though full body assessment on your dog. They will then recommend a personalised training regime, for at home and using the underwater treadmill. Your dog will be monitored by our hydrotherapists and their progress assessed regularly during their hydrotherapy program to ensure effective rehabilitation is occurring.
How do we start a Hydrotherapy Program?
Following a thorough health check by one of our Vets or by a referring Vet, a program will be identified for your dog.
Our therapists, Carrie Anne and Nadine will implement this program and you are encouraged to participate with your pet’s rehabilitation program at home between sessions. The girls are often in the tank with the dog during the first few sessions however as they become more familiar and comfortable with the Therapist they are often able to wade by themselves with the therapist just holding the lead in front of them.
TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT OR TO SPEAK TO A MEMBER OF THE HYDRO TEAM CALL TODAY