- A greater understanding of cats and dogs nutritional needs and the availability of prepared pet foods that provide a balanced diet
- Advances in veterinary medicine enabling vets to successfully diagnose and treat more conditions
- The growth of preventative health care programmes to detect problems at an early stage and so start treatment sooner
To keep your senior pet looking good and feeling great requires a little more attention than when he/she was younger. Both cats and dogs tend to become less attentive to their own grooming and up keep so require a little more help from you, especially with their coat and oral hygiene.
Commercial ‘mature’ diets offer great supportive benefits for our senior dogs and cats 8 years and above. High quality Feline and Canine Mature diets cater for the nutritional needs of mature animals and provide the ultimate balance of protein, fats, vitamins and minerals. Many of these diets also help to optimize joint and oral health as well as strengthening the immune system and aiding coat condition.
To optimize your pet’s health and well being, we recommend 12 monthly vet checks for your pet up to 8 years of age and then 6 monthly checks for pets older than 8 years of age. More frequent vet checks mean little health problems in your pet are more likely detected early before they become big problems.
Osteoarthritis is a common disease of older pets that can cause the following symptoms:
- Uncomfortable to get up from a lay down position
- ‘Jerky’ movements’
- Reduced playful behaviour
- Lagging behind or limping when walking
Your pet need not endure the painful symptoms of Arthritis. Ask us about our arthritis wellness program and how we can individualise the program for your pet.
Regular health checks assists in the early detection of common senior diseases like arthritis. Your pets personal vet takes care in picking up on sensitive areas in your pet that can easily be missed at home. Early detection of arthritis is vital in formulating an individualized management plan for your pet to help optimise their quality of life.